Monday, June 4, 2012

Greenpeace

So something reeeally exciting floated by our house today.

I'll start from the beginning, because it was a really nice day. Toby's dad is in town and we wanted to take him on our boat. We've been having trouble with the motor and had already attempted to take it out once (at high tide on a stormy day, not a good idea). Last night (or maybe tonight) was a full moon, so the low tide was reeeally low today, and at perfect timing for going out for a jog on the boat. We got her in the water and running super easy. We headed out to some reefs (remember the city we live in is called Recife, which means reef) that are very shallow and only exposed at really low tides. So today they were. There were lots of regular fishermen standing on the highest part of the reef, and lots of spearfishermen in the shallows. We tied up to an amazing little island totally covered with coral (it was exposed about 3 inches, so most of the time it's totally submerged), crabs, hermit crabs, sea urchins and lots of seaweed. We've had such bad luck with the boat lately that we only brought one fishing paddle and no camera. So no good fishing, and no pictures. But don't worry, next time.

So back to the really exciting part. While we were out I thought I saw some sails, and there's a pretty deep shipping channel along our coast, so sometimes large sailboats go by. I very much enjoy seeing the big sailboats go by, but most days all we see are shipping containers. So we got into the house, showered and got ready for lunch and I looked out the window and the giant sailboat was there! It was huuuuge, with two masts and craaaazy sails! So I got out the trusty binoculars to get a closer look and guess what boat it was???? It was the Greenpeace Rainbow Warrior!!! COOOOOOL! I mean, cool if you're into that sort of stuff, which I am, so really cool for me!!


Here is the picture I took through the binoculars. Through the binoculars I could see the rainbow on her hull, but I don't think you can with this picture. Click on it for a larger view. Then, after my amazing photography, a little more info on this subject.



She’s the first ship in our fleet designed and built specifically for Greenpeace. That means the Rainbow Warrior is not just one of the most environmentally-friendly ships ever made; she’s also a campaigner’s dream. We are thrilled she’s now fighting with us for a green and peaceful future.
After 22 tireless years at the campaigning frontline, the second Rainbow Warrior retired from her Greenpeace life on 16 August 2011.
The ship – which replaced the original Rainbow Warrior after it was bombed in 1985 – helped end nuclear testing in the Pacific, blocked coal ports and closed down destructive fishing operations (to name but a few).
It’s a very proud legacy – and the third Rainbow Warrior, which entered operation on 14 October 2011, is better equipped to carry it on than any Greenpeace ship before her.

Click here for the Rainbow Warrior's website. Also, I did see on their website the live webcam has pictures of where they're passing (I couldn't see me waving, shucks), and it looks like they were just in the Amazon, headed to Rio. Just think, if we'd gone on our boat ride two hours later, we would have passed right by her!!! Okay, hope you all think this is exciting as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment