Friday, September 28, 2012

Grocery Shopping



You know there's nothing I'd rather talk about that food. Or groceries. Or grocery shopping. We just got back from the store and I brought home two new beauties. One, I've been meaning to buy: dende oil, and one I saw (and saw the price of .89, and thought it was good enough to blow some money on) and didn't know anything about but bought anyway.

First, the dende oil. It's used in all sorts of things. Off the top of my head, I know you're supposed to use in to make farofa, but I never have. I think it's just a flavor thing. Being that I've never tried it alone, I couldn't tell you what it tastes like, or pick it out in any dishes I've had. And I haven't opened it, so I'm still not quite sure what it is. If you're interested in Brazilian Cuisine at all, I can recommend a blog that I'm always checking: Flavors of Brazil. I haven't actually made anything from the blog, but honestly, I do intend to. On that note, for Easter my parents gave me a book: The Brazilian Kitchen, by Leticia something or other (too many last names). We've decided to pick a recipe together, and cook it, on two different continents, and see how the recipe comes out. The thing with this cookbook, is that it's written by a Brazilian women, but for cooking in the US. So there's a lot of stuff that is super tough to find in the US (I mean, unless you live in one of those Brazilian/US hubs, Miami, Atlanta, New York), and there are lot of ingredients from the US that....er... maybe you can easily find here in Brazil, but I don't know the Brazilian names for! Oh shucks! Maybe it's a good incentive to learn some new words.

Okay, back to the topic at hand. Canela em po. It's powdered cinnamon, which I can proudly say, I already knew the name of. But they sell a more normal version of cinnamon. I thought this one might be somehow different. It's a little different in color, and it's got other stuff in the ingredients, mainly sugar. Okay. I just did a lazy google and it looks like it's just used like normal cinnamon. Oh well. I think I'll use it on a fried banana, one of my favorite things to eat here. 

By the way, I should have put something else in the photos so you could see the scale of the containers. They're both pretty small. I thought they were cute.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks

    ReplyDelete